Friday 3 April 2020

NaPoWriMo 2020 versus Covid 19

I haven't found the situation we are in conducive to writing. I can barely focus on my reading, opting instead for thrillers on Audible. I've seen so many creative responses to Covid 19 and this strange way we are living on account of it but have felt no compulsion to add anything. Until tonight.

Thanks to a friendly invite from Siobhan McLaughlin to share our April work together, I'm participating in NaPoWriMo again.
I like these nudges, the deadlines, the different directions prompts throw you in that your normal practice might not lead you to.

I also love that an idea triggered in twenty minutes working to a prompt might provide a line or image that you can put to use otherwise than in the prompted piece.

Today's prompt is a case in point. The idea was to choose a random 10 words then use a rhyming dictionary to find three or four rhyme matches for the ten words. Then using that word bank create a piece.

So, I took Lee Child's "The Hero", opened page ten and chose my ten. I used the suggested https://www.rhymezone.com/  and wrote this:

Cannot shake the feeling of truancy
check and recheck status and agency
strange rearrange space opportunity
move to remove temptation to mutiny
race to control to banish to manage
language curtailed immobile damaged
anguish stream of upload failed paled
recently unveiled dreams derailed
situation quickly becomes political
logistical survival on strings invisible
physical clinical denials tribal
forbidden passage from arrival to rival
less measures made than measure gleaning
the greening savage passage to meaning.                   

I know the Covid pandemic was in the background here, simmering. How could it not be?

And... I took one line form this and wrote a new piece that I am very happy with. Let's see where that leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome and appreciate your comment.