Tuesday 25 March 2014

Launch of Boyne Berries Issue 15

This Thursday 27th March is the launch of Boyne Berries issue 15 in the Castle Arch Hotel, Trim, Co. Meath. And, I'm proud to say that I've a story included in it called The Visitor - the visitor being a very large, but portable, statue of the Virgin Mary. I'd love to attend the launch and read, but I'm working late and then early Thursday and Friday, so no go I'm afraid. Sometimes Donegal does seem very far from everywhere - though it has it's compensations too.

This issue of Boyne Berries marks the end of Michael Farry's editorship. He is handing over the role to Orla Fay who like Michael is a member of the Boyne Writers Group 

I met Michael recently at the Christmas Arts Night for North West Words in Cafe Blend, Letterkenny. He was the featured reader that night, and by his own account  it was a thoroughly enjoyable night for all. I was delighted to meet and spend time with him, and to listen to his poetry reading. Like all change I suppose there's some sadness that a particular contribution has ended, but I'm sure Michael has plenty of projects in mind to keep him occupied - keep an eye on his blog for details and other writing based news. 



But, it also means that there's a new editor on the Irish literary magazine scene - Orla Fay. All the best to Orla in her new and exciting venture. I read at the same event as Orla in the Irish Writers' Centre - what seems now like a very long time ago. We had both been chosen to read a short story in the Lonely Voice Short Story Competition that used to run monthly in IWC. It was nerve wracking for me to read on such an occasion, but really ejoyable too, and wonderful to hear the other three readers that evening. On that occasion, Orla was being recognised for a short story, but she has also published many poems, and a chapbook of poetry. I look forward to reading the new issues under her care. 


 Meanwhile issue 15 is available to buy after the launch on the Boyne Writers Group website here


     

2 comments:

  1. You're welcome, Michael. And I'm sure you'll find plenty of writerly things to do with your new found time.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome and appreciate your comment.